Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Fisherman

They tell a story of a man who docked his fishing boat at eight in the
morning with the hold half empty. Why did you come in so early, asked a
bystander.
Because I have caught enough to sustain me for the day, replied the
fisherman.
How will you spend the rest of the day?
I will smoke my pipe, relax with my family and enjoy some quiet time.
Why don’t you stay out a little longer and make a little more money?
What would I do with more money?
You could buy another boat, hire someone to run it and make even more money.

And what would I do with that money?
I suppose you could buy more boats and have a fleet; this way you could make
real money.
And what would I do with real money?
Well you could diversify into other lucrative opportunities and really
strike it rich.
And what would I do if I were rich?
I suppose if you really wanted to you could retire early.
And what would I do with an early retirement?
Well, replied the stranger, somewhat flummoxed, you would do whatever you
wanted to do. You could do a little fishing, you could smoke a cigar, enjoy
your family and maybe have some quiet time…..
That, the fisherman replied pointedly, Is what I do already. . .

No comments: